Monday, July 22, 2013

Makeup: Where to Spend, Where to Save

Hey everybody! As a self-professed makeup junkie, a good chunk of my spending money goes towards makeup. Drugstore, high end, whatever. I love makeup, and I love a good deal if I can find it. My collection is probably split half and half between drugstore and high end. I personally think that a lot of high end products are not special or unique enough for the price tag. There are tons of gems at the drugstore that perform just as well (or better) than the stuff you find in Sephora or at makeup counters. You just have to look. This post is going to be all about what I think you should save on, spend on, or do a little bit of both. I will try to stay away from placing products in the "both" category, but sometimes a girl just can't make up her mind. Let's get to it.


First up is foundation.
Save, spend, or both?
My answer: Spend.
A good foundation can work wonders. I have found that when you spend a little bit more on foundation, you get exponentially better results. Better looking skin, a finish you love, good staying power, coverage you want, etc. When you have a good foundation, everything seems to just look better. Your blush and bronzer stay on, your foundation stays put, and you can go longer without touching up. A lot of foundations are really pricey, but I personally think shelling out the money for a foundation that really works for you is worth it. If you're going to spend money on anything high end, make it foundation. This is one instance where I think you get what you pay for. I'm not saying there aren't good foundations in the drugstore, because there are. I'm simply saying that if you're looking for a foundation that is going to perform at a higher standard, your best bet is to spend a little more. My personal favorite is the Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation.




Concealer.
Save, spend, or both?
My answer: Spend.
When it comes to concealer, I have the best luck with high end products. I haven't found anything from the drugstore that I love for my under eye area that covers and doesn't cake, crease, or dry me out. As far as blemishes, I still say go for high end. High end concealers just sit better and stay longer. My current favorites are the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer for my under eyes and the Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer for blemishes. They sit on my skin without being obvious. They cover, stay put, have minimal creasing, and just perform well all around.


Powder.
Save, spend, or both?
My answer: Spend.
Sorry, guys, I know it's my third "spend" product in a row. But I have to keep it real. Powder is just something I think you get better results with when you spend a little bit more money. The Rimmel Stay Matte Powder is nice, but I've found that my MAC MSF Natural and Prep and Prime Transparent Finishing Powder are nicer. They have a better finish and softer texture. They are powders that don't look powdery. I haven't found anything at the drugstore that is as finely milled as these.


Are we sensing a trend here? When it comes to makeup for the face, I think high end is the best way to go.

Next up is Blush.
Save, spend, or both?
My answer: Save.
Defintely save! Sure, there are nice high end blushes out there. But there are good ones at the drugstore that I love. The Milani Baked Blushes are my personal favorite. The Wet N' Wild Color Icon Blushes are freakin' fab as well. You can find highly pigmented, soft blushes at the drugstore that perform extremely well. It's fun to splurge sometimes, but I say in general it's better to save on blushes. When you have a good base that works for you, whatever you put on top should stay put, no matter how much it costs.



Bronzer.
Save, spend, or both?
My answer: Both.
I think there are a lot of good drugstore bronzers out there. NYC Bronzer in Sunny is a good one for people who are very fair like myself. However, I recently dabbled in the world of high end bronzers with the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer and it was wonderful. I think that it really just depends on your own preference. If you're not huge into bronzer, the drugstore is a great place to go. If you have a deep skin tone and you need something that's really pigmented, high end might be a better choice. I personally enjoy both.



Highlighter.
Save, spend, or both?
My answer: Spend.
I honestly haven't found a drugstore highlight that I adore as much as my MaryLoumanizer by The Balm. I find that the high end stuff is simply more pigmented. There are drugstore options that work fine. But if you love highlighter the way I do, high end is the way to go. Also, it seems that there are more options in the high end highlight world. Also, something like MaryLoumanizer will last you forever. You only need a tiny bit. It also doubles as an eyeshadow. Also, just as a small tip, I got mine on Hautelook. High end product, extremely reduced price!


Eyeshadow.
Save, spend, or both?
My answer: Both.
This is such a hard one for me, you guys. I absolutely adore Urban Decay eyeshadows. They have excellent palettes that rock my world. MAC Shadows are another favorite. Tons and tons of colors, super blendable, and just downright awesome. But Wet N' Wild eyeshadows come in and take the cake for best drugstore eyeshadow. They are soft, ultra-pigmented, blendable to high heaven, and come in nice palettes as well as singles. My only gripe is I WANT MORE COLORS! If Wet N' Wild had half the amount of colors that MAC has, my answer would be to save.




Eyeliner.
Save, spend, or both?
My answer: Both.
Okay, let me explain why I said "both." When it comes to liquid eyeliner or gel/cream eyeliner, save all the way. However, if you're looking for that super long lasting pencil that won't move from your waterline, I think high end is the best option. But hey, that's me and my oily lids talking. Maybe you have a drugstore pencil that works for you. I just don't...yet. Also, I think high end has a better selection of colored eyeliners, if that's what you're into. I really love the Maybelline Line Stiletto Liquid Eyeliner and the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner from the drugstore. For high end, I like the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Eye Pencil for staying power and color selection.


Lipstick.
Save, spend, or both?
My answer: Save.
Save, without a doubt. I have a few MAC Lipsticks and I have to tell you, I'm not amazed. Maybe I just have colors that I'm not absolutely nuts for, but I just don't see what they hype is. I love my Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick. I have ten shades at least. They last well, feel fine on the lips, have nice pigmentation, there's a good range of colors, and they are reasonably priced. What else could I ask for? Revlon is only one example. There are lots of good lipsticks at the drugstore that do exactly what I want a lipstick to do.


Whew. There you have it, guys. Remember that your answer may be different than mine according to the products that you like the most. I like highlighter a lot, so it's worth it to me to spend a little more. Maybe you adore liptsick, and think there's nothing better to spend your money on than all the MAC lipstick shades. That's fine. This is only my opinion.

Much much love!

Gianna



No comments:

Post a Comment