Friday, July 26, 2013

Drugstore Liquid Liners: An Overview

Hey everybody! I'm back from vacation! It feels good to be blogging again. The last few posts have been written before hand, so I'm excited to be back at the keyboard for a quick minute before I leave for Vegas.

Anyways, on to the good stuff! I'm a liquid liner lover. For a long time I hated the way eyeliner looked on me, but after some experimentation I figured out that I love me a good liquid liner to use on my upper lash line. Gel and cream liners are not really my thing. Though I enjoy the formula of them, they are difficult for me to apply.

I know that liquid liner is a scary product. When I was a beginner, the whole idea of it freaked me out. It just seemed too risky applying a black liquid substance to my lid like that. What if the line was too thick, or jagged, or in the wrong place? Trust me guys, it takes practice. The more you do it, the better you'll be. Now it's just second nature to me.

I've tried out a good amount of liquid liners from the drugstore. Now, by no means have I tried them all. But I think I've tried a lot of the popular ones, and I want to share a bit of an overview of my thoughts on them.

Liquid liner pens are pretty popular right now. If you're a beginner, check out one of these products. They are so user friendly, and less threatening to those who are fearful. First up on the list is the Revlon Colorstay Liquid Eye Pen.


This retails for around 8 bucks. I personally think that's a little steep, but whatever. This is a good product. As the name suggests, this stuff lasts on your lid. I don't recall having any problems with staying power at all. However, the tip on this pen is a little bit short. It's still really easy to use, but it might be a bit easier if it had a longer tip. It's not a huge deal, but just a thought. If you have trouble with keeping your liner in place, give this a go. The only thing is that this product will tend to skip after a little while of use. The line doesn't go on as smooth or straight. I found that this pen was relatively easy to use, but didn't give me a really crisp line. That's just my opinion, though. This is my mom's favorite eyeliner pen. But she has mentioned having the same issue- it can skip, which is annoying.


Next up in the pen category is the Maybelline Eye Studio Master Precise Ink Pen Eyeliner. Damn that's a long name.



This is similar in price to the Revlon one. This is a good product too, but I won't repurchase. This did not have the lasting power that the Revlon did for me. But I have oily lids, and pretty much everything smudges on me. By the end of the day, this would be gathered up in the outer corners of my eyes. I will say that this is easier to use than the Revlon one. It has a longer tip, which means you can get more precise application.


Next and last of the pens is the Jesse's Girl Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner.


I believe this is only sold at Ride Aid and the Jesse's Girl website for about seven bucks. This is another good liquid liner. The tip on this thing is super thin. However, something about this product makes it less user-friendly than the other two. Maybe it's just me, but I found that it was harder to work with. This eyeliner pen makes a really, really thin line. This is good and bad. I personally like to make my liner thin at the inner corner, and thicker as it reaches the outer corner. I found that because the tip is so thin, it was hard to draw that gradual thickness that I wanted. If you are someone who likes a really thin line all the way across, this is great. If you like a little thickness, this might not be the best product. I'm not saying you can't achieve that thickness, I'm only saying it's harder to get that look with this pen. As far as staying power, I don't think I had any major issues. Just a little smudging. Remember though, guys, most things don't want to stay where I put them on my eyes.


On to the liners with felt and plastic tips. First up is the Revlon Colorstay Liquid Eyeliner.


This is a product where you shake it up and the product gets on to the plastic applicator. Yeah, it's plastic. That's kind of the thing about this stuff. The applicator is not the most comfortable on your eye. But the product itself is good. It lasts on my eyes. The application process could be easier, in my opinion, but it's not terribly difficult. I have one major issue with this stuff. It irritates my eyes. I was using it for a while and then my eyes started getting really sensitive. I realized that this stuff kind of stings right after I apply it. If you have sensitive eyes, I would suggest staying away from this product. This retails for about seven to eight bucks.


Next product is the Wet N' Wild H2O Proof Liquid Eyeliner.


This stuff is good and cheap. It retails for about three dollars. It's a lot like the Revlon one I mentioned right above. It has good lasting power. I don't have any irritation from this. I find that it's not the easiest to apply, but that's okay. If you want something cheap that works, buy this.


The next product is probably going to be controversial. It's the L'Oreal Lineur Intense Felt tip Liquid Eyeliner.



This retails for anywhere from seven to nearly ten bucks. Okay, there is one really good thing about this product. The applicator. The felt tip is nice and really easy to use. I personally think felt tips are the easiest. Even easier than pens. I know that this eyeliner has a cult following, but I just didn't love it. I found that it wasn't super pigmented. I could not take the applicator out of the bottle, do one swipe, and be done. I had to re-dip the applicator into the bottle half way through my line, screw the lid back on, shake it up, and then finish my line. And if I was attempting a wing, I could just forget about it. I'm sorry everybody, I just didn't see what the hype is about. Try it out for yourself and see. Maybe I just got a dud.


Last but certainly not least, I have my beloved Maybelline Line Stiletto Ultimate Precision Liquid Eyeliner.


This retails for around seven dollars. I love this stuff. It has the glorious applicator of the L'Oreal Lineur Intense, but the staying power and pigmentation of the Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner. It doesn't irritate my eyes. It's easy to use. I can get a really thin line, or a really thick one, depending on what I want that day. It's just lovely. I suggest checking it out.


Okay guys, that's all I have for today. I know this was a lot of information, but I hope this helps you guys find a good, cheap liquid liner that you love!

Gianna







No comments:

Post a Comment