Friday, August 9, 2013

First Impression/Review: NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

Hey everybody!

Lately I've been getting the itch to try out some new foundations. I've been stuck on my Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation for about a year now, so I think it's time to branch out a little bit. Part of my foundation itch is due to a recent change in my skin- I've been noticing a lot more dryness. Before now, I would definitely classify myself as having oily/combo skin. But as of late, I've been sort of normal/dry. At first I thought it was a problem, but then I realized I should just take advantage of the change and try something I was hesitant about before! I'm not sure how long my newly dry skin will last, but I'm not worried about it. Anyway, I took a trip to Sephora hoping to find something light, slightly glowy, and medium coverage. NARS Sheer Glow seems to fit these three stipulations, so I went with it. I got myself a sample in the color Ceylan, and went along my merry way.

I tested out my sample today, and boy was I surprised with what I found out. Let's get to it.


NARS Sheer Glow Foundation retails for a whopping $44.00. Yeah, it's a lot. It comes in a really classy glass bottle with the notorious velvety-black cap. It looks nice, but the black material gets so darn dirty. I know from experience with my other NARS products. There is one huge downside- it doesn't come with a pump. Honestly, I think this is just so unacceptable. You can buy a pump separately at Nordstrom, but seriously? For $44.00 I expect a freaking pump.

The foundation comes in 20 shades according to the NARS website, although on the Sephora website I am only counting 16. Like I said, I chose the shade Ceylan, which is a really nice match for my summer color (NC 30 or so).


NARS claims this foundation gives a "glowing, satin finish" with sheer, buildable coverage. It also is supposed to be best for normal to dry skin.


On to my own experience...

This is my skin without makeup on. This picture was actually taken after I took the foundation off because I forgot to take one this morning. But it's all the same. I want you to see what kind of coverage the foundation offers.


Okay so, as you can see, I have a few issues that I want to cover, but nothing major. Some redness, a few blemishes, you know the drill.

This is me with my finished makeup using NARS Sheer Glow. Just letting you guys know- I did set my makeup today with NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder. It didn't add any coverage at all. I just wanted to set it because I was going to a family member's graduation and it was important that my makeup held up.



So, I don't know about you, but the first thing I notice is the not-so-glowy finish. Don't be deceived by the name "glow." I think this foundation offers a really beautiful, satin finish (as NARS says it does) that is super natural and flattering. I think my skin looks perfected, but not cakey. The first thing I thought when I applied it was "matte, but not flat." I think that's a great way to describe this foundation. There is a natural glow, but nothing like the full on dewey-ness I got from Make Up For Ever HD or anything like that. Also, this foundation did not sit in my pores very badly. By the end of the day, it had sunken into them a little bit, but nothing major. It's a huge plus in my book.

I had to build up to this level of coverage with two layers of foundation. But it still felt very light on the skin. I think NARS is right- it has a light, buildable coverage.
As far as consistency, the foundation is thin and somewhat runny, but not like straight up water. It's nice. It's easy to blend (I applied it with my beauty blender) and it doesn't dry too fast.


As far as how it wore throughout the day, I don't have too many issues. I never had to blot, not even once. It seems to really keep it's finish- I didn't get too oily or anything like that. It sunk in to my smile line a little bit, but every foundation does that to me. That's what you get for smiling so much!

I noticed a small amount of fading on my chin, but that is another thing that always happens to me. I think with a little setting spray it wouldn't have been an issue. I didn't notice an issue with transferring. I hate foundations that transfer, so I was happy about that.

I know this is strange to remark on, but it was pretty easy to remove too. For a foundation that lasts pretty decently on the skin without a primer or setting spray, I was able to wash it off easily. I don't like it when I feel like I can't get my foundation off my face without using a makeup wipe.


The bottom line.

Who would I recommend it to?
I would recommend this foundation to someone with dry, normal, or even combo skin. It probably wouldn't be good with someone super oily. I would also recommend this to someone looking for something with light-medium coverage who wants something light and natural on the skin,. If you want super dewey or super matte, this probably isn't for you.


Am I going to purchase the full size?
Honestly... yes, I think I might. This is just beautiful stuff. The color match is great, and I think it will be great in the winter when I am less tan. I like the finish and the way it holds up on my skin. So, yes, I might be purchasing this stuff really soon.


That's all for now. Hope this was helpful!

So much love!


Gianna

No comments:

Post a Comment