Friday, August 23, 2013

First Impression/Review: Dr. Brandt BB Matte

Hey everybody! I recently got a sample of the Dr. Brandt BB Matte in a Sephora order, and I wanted to give it a shot and let you guys know what I think of it. The sample was only enough for one use, so this is indeed a first impression.


Dr. Brandt BB Matte is sold for $39.00 and comes in two shades- "light to medium" and "medium to dark." I tried "light to medium," which is a decent match for my current NC30 summer shade. It would probably be too dark in winter, but might still work if I were a bit darker.

The BB Cream is oil free, sulfate free, paraben free, and phthalates free. It supposedly is an "all-in-one oil-free beauty balm designed for oily/combination skin that provides instant mattifying coverage and oil-control for flawless, youthful, and healthy-looking skin." We'll see about that.

In addition to all that, it can be used as a moisturizer with SPF 30.

Here is a picture of my skin with the BB Cream on.


I applied it this morning around 11:00 in place of moisturizer, and the first thing I noticed was the smell. This stuff smells absolutely gross. I don't like it one bit. It doesn't linger on the face, but during application it's super noticeable. I haven't noticed anything online or on the sample that says whether it has fragrance added or not, but I would guess it doesn't. I'm not sure how to feel on the issue, because fragrance free products are good, but this stuff smells so bad that I almost wish they added fragrance just to make it less nasty. And if they did add fragrance, well I would just have to ask, what were they thinking?

Aside from the smell, I noticed that the product is pretty thick. It's not very blendable at all, and it feels sticky on the skin when it's first applied. I didn't like it. I want my moisturizers to glide on with ease.

As far as coverage, you aren't going to get much with this product. I could have used some concealer on some rosacea spots, but I didn't. I wanted something super light today, so what you see in the picture is just the BB Cream and a bit of mascara. This product has very light coverage, and I didn't notice it being very buildable.

Despite all this, it was pretty much matte on my skin. It wasn't like a normal moisturizer that leaves the skin a little shiny- it set to a demi-matte finish but felt reasonably moisturizing.

As far as wear throughout the day, I put this stuff through the wringer. I laid out and tanned for an hour, so I was sweating like crazy. The BB Cream does transfer a bit, and it's not going to keep your face matte if you're sweating. I don't think it rubbed off entirely. Once I was inside and cooled off, I noticed that the BB Cream has kept its finish and I was looking oil-free.

I also went to an indoor trampoline arena today and jumped for about an hour. I was sweating, once again, like crazy. But like before, once I cooled down the BB Cream was looking shine-free.


It's been about 8 hours and here's what I can say: this BB cream really does keep you oil-free. It's not a super duper matte finish, but it certainly never looks glowy, oily, or shiny at all.

The Bottom Line.

Am I going to purchase the full sized product?
No. It's expensive and it doesn't do enough for me. I like that it keeps me shine free, but the BB Cream doesn't really perfect the skin. I know it's not supposed to be full coverage, and I don't expect it to be. But I just don't love the product enough to purchase it.

Who would I recommend it to?
If you want something really light coverage that will keep you shine-free (and you can get past the smell and the price), go for it. If one of my friends were looking for a BB Cream for oily skin, I might suggest this. However, I would tell them to sample it first.

That's all for now. Hope this was helpful!


Much love!

Gianna



No comments:

Post a Comment