Monday, September 2, 2013

Curly Hair Update: Week Nine

Hey everybody! It's been about nine weeks since I completely cut out sulfates and silicones from my hair routine, and here is what's been happening...

My hair, as I've mentioned before, is still feeling really healthy and soft. I guess that's what to expect with the Curly Girl Method! Maybe I should stop mentioning this in these posts, but I have to admit, I'm still getting used to having such healthy hair. I know a lot of this has to do with my leave in conditioner (Kinky Curly Knot Today), which I am still really loving.

I haven't noticed a ton of change in my curls since my last update. However, I have not been wearing my hair down very often. I'm not back to school yet, so I haven't been taking the time to style it.

I want to mention one major change- I haven't been co-washing. I know, I know. Sounds like I'm abandoning the method, but I'm not! I have been using my sulfate-free shampoo for a couple of reasons. First of all, my hair always feels really dirty. Co-Washing is not leaving my hair as clean as I want it, and I'm frustrated. I think my hair is still going through a transition. I know in one of my previous posts I said I think my hair is used to the change, but I lied. There is no other explanation... I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do! I don't use silicones at all. Half the time I don't apply any product and just put my hair up in a bun. The only thing I can think of is that my hair is still transitioning.

Co-washing was making my hair clean, but I had to really scrub. I already have a lot of hair fallout, and I started to notice a lot more the last few weeks. I think that the scrubbing I had to do from co-washing was causing more hair-fallout than usual, and I certainly do not want that. Furthermore, even when my hair felt clean from co-washing, it never felt clean for very long. Over night my hair would just get gunky again, and I hate that feeling.


So...the only solution I can think of is using my sulfate free shampoo. I'm still technically following the Curly Girl Method, but I've modified it to fit my current needs. I don't need to scrub as hard, and it keeps my hair clean. You gotta do what you gotta do.

That's all for now. What have been your experiences with the transition period? Did you find it difficult?


Much love,
Gianna

No comments:

Post a Comment